If you haven’t cleaned your makeup brushes in the last two weeks then you should seriously consider doing so. Most of us look after our skin by using proper skincare products, but we should remember about the tools we use too! Cleaning makeup brushes is extremely important.
It only takes a few weeks for bacteria to develop amongst the bristles of your brush, explaining those ‘mysterious breakouts’ people often get. Not only will cleaning your brushes make them last longer, but it will keep away harmful bacteria, fungus and parasites.
What You Will Need:
All of your brushes — small and large
Clean hand towels
Foaming face wash or a gentle baby shampoo
A cleaning pad
Directions when using a cleaning pad:
- A cleaning pad makes cleaning makeup brushes really easy. It is extremely effective and your makeup brushes will look brand new again.
- Wet the bristles of your brush.
- Pour some face wash or baby shampoo on the cleaning pad.
- Gently move your brush on the cleaning pad in a circular motion – loosening the build-up.
- Repeat until the brush(es) is clean.
- Rinse the brush(es) off.
- Lay the brush(es) flat to dry.
Directions when cleaning brushes without a cleaning pad:
- Start by wetting your brushes with warm water.
- Do not soak the brushes because that may loosen the glue holding the bristles together.
- After your brushes are completely dampened, apply a few drops of either face wash or shampoo directly to your brushes.
- Continue to rinse the brushes under the warm water until the water runs clear.
- Once the bristles appear visibly clear of your grimy makeup residue, brush them across the clean towel and lay flat to dry.
Either method is fine to use to clean your brushes, but you will save a LOT of time by using a cleaning pad.
You can get a basic brush cleaning pad for as little as R20 (on the right – Dischem) and pay up to R200 (on the left – Takealot) for the more expense ones. But a cleaning pad is definitely worth the investment. They are readily available at retailers as well as on Takealot.
Cleaning and caring for your makeup brushes is a very important part of keeping your skin healthy and glowing!